Hello all! It’s Jeri Karges, your host of the Concord Daily — back in your inbox with everything that’s fit to print about what’s happening in our community. Including:
- Emily Justice was named Tobacco Control Leader of the Year.
- Concord man missing for more than a year was found dead.
- in San Ramon is looking for volunteer docents.
Here are the top stories in Concord today:
- A “vehicle vs. tractor-trailer” incident happened on Marsh Creek Road in Brentwood on Friday. The vehicle’s driver lost his life. “It appears the driver of the Nissan entered the intersection directly in front of the Tractor Trailer causing the Tractor Trailer to collide into the left side of the Nissan.” The driver of the tractor-trailer was uninjured. (Claycord.com)
- Check out the mountain lion cubs playing at Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park! They were caught on a trail cam, playing in the sunshine. “The District maintains hundreds of wildlife cameras throughout Contra Costa and Alameda counties as part of an effort to evaluate the ecological health of the East Bay region.” (Claycord.com)
- Contra Costa News) named Emily Justice, the program manager at the , its Tobacco Control Leader of the Year. “Emily and the TUPE team have created meaningful relationships with schools in Contra Costa County that have significantly improved tobacco prevention efforts,” said Isabelle Kirske, Senior Health Education Specialist at Contra Costa Health Services. (
- Human remains found in Calaveras County last year were identified as Steve Delaney, Jr., 42, of Concord, who has been missing for more than a year. “The caller who initially reported the finding told authorities that he was hunting in a steep, rugged area of Ponderosa Way east of the North Fork of the Mokelumne River when he discovered the remains.” No cause of death was announced. (CBS Sacramento via MSN)
- A woman was arrested outside of the Safeway at the Orchards after she exited the store with several carts of groceries worth more than $1,600, that she had allegedly not paid for. Employees said they recognized the woman and this was not the first time she had walked out without paying. The unnamed woman was arrested on charges of grand theft. (Contra Costa News)
Today in Concord:
- Head over to Danville for the year-round Farmers’ Market. Grab some of the freshest produce around for your weekend table. (9:00 AM)
- Vinous Reverie Wines is holding a wine tasting. “Most weeks we start early with a special wine guest, from the wine industry, who enhances our tasting and brings more wines for us to sample.” (1:00 PM)
- Hot For Teacher is playing at Retro Junkie in Walnut Creek. (6:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- Looking for vinyl? “Antique Corner [now open] at 500 Ferry St. in Martinez has one of the largest selections of records in the county. Rock Steady Records and Devine’s Collectibles have thousands of records, CD’s, cassettes, music memorabilia, sheet music, posters, and more, upstairs at Antique Corner, which also carries an amazing collection of antiques and collectibles. They carry LP’s, 45’s, and box sets of rock, jazz, soul, R&B, country, blues, folk, world, Hawaiian, soundtracks, gospel, comedy, reggae, punk, metal, and more.” (Martinez Tribune)
- “Forest Home Farms is looking for volunteers to join a diverse and fun group of people. We need docents for our Farm Life Education Program and Glass House Museum Tours. Programs run mostly in the morning from 830-12 noon with a few programs 1230pm-2pm. Please contact BJ Byrd at 925-973-3284 or via email at [email protected]. New Docent Orientation is Thursday, February 9th @ 10am.”
- “The City of Pleasant Hill that the Planning Commission will hold a public hearing to consider a recommendation to the City Council on a proposed City of Pleasant Hill Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan. The Public Hearing will be held by the Planning Commission starting at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, January 24, 2023, via Teleconferencing.”
Thanks for following along and staying informed! I’ll see you soon.
— Jeri Karges
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Concord Daily? Contact me at [email protected]